Ok, so I buckled down, watched a ton of youtube videos (which, by the way only served to confuse me some more since there are a ton of ways to stitch this!!), picked the most comfortable method for me and went at it again. I completely unraveled the body and head (see failure here) and started from the beginning.. for the 10th time. I took a few liberties with the pattern since it was not very well written and added a few touches such as the decorative buttons. I also chose not to add real button eyes like the pattern called for. I wouldn’t give a toddler something with buttons sown on for fear of them pulling them off and swallowing them. Instead, I decided to crochet the eyes in.
The finished product is not perfect, it’s not 100% symmetrical, really doesn’t resemble an elephant all that much… but the little guy is adorable!